Grab the RSS feed

'Creative', We've killed it.

Haven't had the time as usual to plan my blogs, still trying to find a management style that suites me. As usual I'm still very fascinated by everything except chemistry. In all this time, I've been gathering and bookmarking interesting websites and articles, waiting for the chance to discuss them on here when Uni work comes to a final conclusion.

I've recent developed a uncontrollable mind vomit in reaction to the word 'creative'... weird right? It's nauseating! You would think as a designer I should wear this badge proudly, but right now I can't. I'm risking looking like the
try-hard, facade-wearing and 'have no idea what's happening' people that's out there. To be honest, I'm even sure if I'm creative, maybe I'm one of them.

What is creative? Putting together the old and the new ? Being so postmodern to the point no one understand your logic? Keeping up with the fashion and trends? Accepting and digesting what is deemed as 'new', fed to you by the media? Being yourself? or.. Just saying the word?

Creativity is so precious. But for marketing and self-promoting purposes, brands, companies, agencies and even educational institutions have tarnished the magic and the genius that makes the word what it is. Hiding behind their advertising campaigns, sits boardrooms full of suits who are as conservative as ever. And other times, it is managers and directors who have simply lost touch with the ever changing social structure and culture that have emerged from globalisation and technology. This word is now soulless, just an empty shell, a tag dangling off some brand. The true original thinkers are powerless to rescue and restore the word to its true and magnificent self.

It's time to think of another word to replace 'creative' because we've just killed it.

Anyway, that was just a depressing thought, now for something to cheer us up! I've recent read three inspiring books.

1. 'Loosing my Virginity' by Richard Branson.
2. 'It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be' by Paul Arden (Thanks to Camile for giving me the book).
3. 'Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind' by Al Ries and Jack Trout.

I've found all three books to be so valuable for a buding marketer like me. Inspiring and practical to say the least. It is the spirit of an entrepreneur whose passion and optimism has kept me up at night and gripping on to his every word. The wise words of advice from Paul Arden, is applicable to life and advertising not to mention the beautiful typographic execution accompanied by giggle-evoking imagery. And the life-altering book of our times that highlights the importance to recognise human nature and thinking in marketing.

In a month, I have to say I've grown up a little more. Now to video of the day, good old Branson and Virgin. By the congrats to him and the launch of V Australia!





1 comments:

  • Marcus said...

    big corporations and advertising firms don't know what creativity or innovation is. I think you have a unique perspective and an advantage being in your position. If they're out of touch and blind to what is really going on in society, I would think it would be a perfect opportunity to awaken your entrepreneurial spirit and start your own advertising business! You can be in control and start your own creative revolution!

  •